Answers to Density Problems
Density = mass
1) What is the volume of a tank that can hold 18 754 Kg of methanol
whose density is
v = 2.38 x 107
2) What is the density of a board whose dimensions are 5.54 cm x 10.6 cm X
199 cm and
whose mass is 28.6 Kg?
D = 2.45 g
3) CaCl2 is used as a de-icer on roads in the winter. It has a
density of 2.50 g/cm3. What is the
mass of 15.0 L this substance?
m = 3.75 x 104 g
4) In the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade, 2000, there was a new float, the
Buzzbee. The jar of honey it was holding contained 36,763 L of
helium. The honey jar was
1/10 of the body size.
What is the volume of the entire float? If the density
of helium is 0.000178 g/cm3, what is the
mass of the helium for the entire float in Kg?
v = 367,630 L He
m = 65.4 Kg
5) My gas tank in my car has a total volume of 68 L. The manual says
the gas gauge light will
come on when there are only 5 L remaining in the tank and that
the car will not be able to
draw on the last 2 L in the tank. Practically speaking, what is the
functional volume of the gas
tank? If I ran out of gas, the car won't go, and I put in 5 L of gas, what is
the total volume of
gas in my tank? If 5 L of gas has a mass of 450 Kg, what is the mass of the gas in my tank?
What is the density of the gas?
D = m/v
functional volume of tank is
68L - 2 L = 66 L gas
"empty tank" + 5
L = 7 L gas
m = 630 Kg
D = 9.0 x 101 g
6) The density of paper is 1.20 g/cm3. What is the mass of
the paper in a notebook that is 76
mm thick, 215.9 mm wide, and 279.4mm long?
Express your answer in significant
5.5 x 103 g
7) In pottery class, you throw a pot from a lump of wet clay. Your
pot's mass is 5.5 Kg. After
the pot is fired, it's mass is 4.9 Kg. The density of
wet clay is 1.60 g/cm3 and the density of
fired clay is 1.36 g/cm3. What was the
volume of your pot before it was fired? What was
the volume of the pot after it was fired? Express your
answer in significant digits.
volume of wet clay is 3.4 x 103
volume of dry clay is 3.6 x 103
8) The Italian government is giving Michelangelo's David a bath. In the
newspaper, there was a
photo of a person working on the statue. Their
hand was half the size of the statue's hand.
If the statue is 4.9m3 and the density of
marble is 2.76 g/cm3 what is the mass? Express your
answer in significant digits.
mass of marble = 1.4 x 107
9) The volume of the aquarium in our classroom is 1890 L. The density
of seawater is
1.03g/cm3. What is the mass of the
water in our tank? Express your answer in significant
mass = 1.95 x 106
10) Spanish mahogany is a red, lustrous wood. It is prized over
Honduras mahogany, which
does have the characteristic red color and
similar grain, but is the wood is not as compact
and has a looser appearance than the Spanish
mahogany. A hope chest made of Honduras
mahogany has a volume of .648 m3
and a mass of 349 Kg. An identical hope chest made
of Spanish mahogany has a mass of 550.8 Kg.
What is the density of Honduras
mahogany? What is the density of
Spanish mahogany? Express your answer in significant
density of Honduras
mahogany is 0.539 g/cm3
of Spanish mahogany is 0.850 g/cm3